Sunday, January 30, 2011

Birthday presents for oneself; acceptable?

January 21, 2011

I have this tradition: Every year on my birthday, I like to treat myself to a little present. And why shouldn’t I? I get up and go to work every day, be as good a person as I can be, I do my best to be eco-conscious, feed my dog, keep up with current events, floss my teeth on a regular basis…so I believe that as an outstanding citizen of the world [that’s right, I went there. I can be outstanding!] I should at least be able to buy myself something on my birthday. I certainly don’t expect anybody else to buy me a present. Don’t get me wrong – I love gifts, and as grateful as I am – for some reason I cringe at the idea of other people buying me things. I don’t know why, but having to open a gift in front of someone makes me feel SO awkward. Does anyone else share this odd behavior?

Anyhow, back to presents.

Right, so every year I like to buy myself a little gift.. Sometimes it’s expensive, sometimes it’s not. But it’s absolutely, 100%, pure self indulgent. I like to think of it as buying little pieces of luxury. If it makes me feel like the most beautiful person, then I’ve succeeded. [Not that I need nice things to make me feel beautiful, but you know what I mean.] It’s just nice to have nice things, whether it was $10 or $100. I figure, if you’re going to love it now & love it in 10 years from now, then why not? Agreed?

I guess if I’m being really honest with myself; I don’t need anything per se. BUT it’s my birthday, and I’ve already told the boyfriend NOT to buy me anything….and there are these wonderful little boots made by Quoddy® that would last a lifetime and they would look fantastic with the perfect skinny jeans and I know they’re expensive, but they would last a LIFETIME PEOPLE!!!!!…………………Really, a lifetime. I checked. They replace the soles if they ever get worn out. Which is awesome!

I understand TGAAD is what you make of it, and technically shoes are acceptable… However, the more I think about it, the more I’m swayed towards the conclusion of not buying them. They are a wee bit pricy and besides that, I can’t seem to shake this enormous cloud of guilt hovering over me as I contemplate the idea of spending money. Oh well. I shouldn’t be buying boots anyway, I need to save up for bigger, more important things… and trying to justify a $400 pair of boots won’t help me get there any quicker. Hmmph…I think I’ve just talked myself out of it. Hooray!!! Hi5’s all around!! Thank goodness my birthday isn’t for another 3 months! Whew!

What is everyone else’s take on buying yourself birthday presents while on TGAAD?

No comments:

Post a Comment